Sunday, June 7, 2015

Vacation Began this Weekend

Highlight of the day: In the afternoon, I had a few hours to lay out and work on my tan. Even in the mountains of Mexico, I can relax as if I'm at a vacation spot like Cancun. A warm sunny day and a good book are all I need to be in paradise.

     The weekend went by as fast as it began! Yesterday we had a lazy morning, but I was fine with that because I had more time to get some sun before we left campus. We got lunch at a sushi restaurant nearby and decided to go to La Estrella de Puebla, a ferris wheel. The ride took about 20 minutes in total, and it was a lot of fun to see the mountains in the horizon as the sun was setting! Since we were within walking distance of Centro Comercial Angelopolis, a mall, we walked around window-shopping for a while and watched a movie before heading back to UDLAP.

     Today we went to the center of Cholula. We decided to explore the pyramids of Tlachihualtepetl in Cholula, and lucky for us, entrance was free today. We went through the tunnels and walked around outside to look at the different structures as well. There were altars with different meanings and even areas for fights to take place. The condition of the pyramids after 2000 years is astounding! The pyramids of Tlachihuateptl are some of the largest pyramids in the world, and they grew each time a different group of people came into power in Cholula.

Excuse the recording being sideways, but the
performers were really great!
     There were a ton of people out and about today. From street performers to locals to everyone in between, I did not expect that many people to be around, especially since today was election day. There were also vendors selling anything you could possibly want to buy. I bought a few handmade headbands and an anklet for $7! I also picked up some fresh strawberries to eat for a snack later on in the week! Talking to vendors is a great way for me to practice my Spanish a little bit more. I can tell my confidence with speaking is increasing, and I enjoy using my Spanish whenever I can. Practice makes (as close as possible to) perfect!

No comments:

Post a Comment