Sunday, June 28, 2015

Full Circle

Highlight of the trip: I never imagined I would become so close with Savannah, DJ, and Alex. Now we have inside jokes and shared memories to last a lifetime. 

DJ was crazy for wearing a
long sleeve shirt on such a
hot day!
     We finished our trip just like we started it: breakfast at La Antigua. Savannah and I walked to our bittersweet breakfast looking forward to the meal but sad to leave. We even sat at the same table we did the first day we went to breakfast. Now, we knew what the items on the menu meant! I had the best chilaquiles I have ever tasted. Of course I would find really good food the last day we were there.

     After breakfast, we went to Dr. Bandala's house for a cookout. There was an abundance of food: hamburgers, hotdogs, watermelon, french fries, and guacamole. Dr. Bandala is apparently known for his drinks, and he made us some mojitos and also tinto de verano, a drink made with wine and cranberry juice. We tried a little bit of everything before chowing down on the dessert, chocolate tres leches cake. We decided to enjoy the sunny day and procrastinate packing up our stuff, so we sat outside and played card games for hours. It was a great way to spend our last afternoon in Mexico.

     The month flew by so quickly. It seems like we just got here. I cannot believe I am already back in the United States and thinking about getting back to work. I learned so much during my month in Mexico. From understanding more about health care, to increasing my speed when I speak Spanish, to appreciating cultural differences even more, I gained a lot more knowledge than I had hoped. I am sad to be at home and not have any travel plans in my near future, but I guess I do have to go back to classes at some point if I plan on graduating on time!

     I'll have to keep finding innovative ways to practice my Spanish, and I hope I keep in touch with friends I made in Mexico. I will remember this trip to Mexico for the rest of my life. I can only hope I find the time to return in a couple of years to travel and explore even more! As for now, I'm off to make some homemade ice cream with the bottle of Mexican vanilla! Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment