Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Party Crashers

Highlight of the day: I don't believe I've ever crashed a retirement party, so I believe today will be very memorable for that reason. We stood out as the only Americans there, so I was a bit surprised when no one cared that we were not actually supposed to be there.

     Today we were given the day off to go watch a folkloric dance performance. Little did we know, we were actually attending a retirement party for teachers in the district. I didn't find this vital piece of information out until at least an hour through the party, but once I did it made much more sense. There was a singer who sang classic songs, and a few older couples got up to dance to the music as well. Everyone was having a great time, and some of the retiring teachers won gifts in a raffle. It was a very elaborate retirement party! I can only imagine how much the retirees must have enjoyed such a big celebration as an ending to their careers!

     The reason we had the day off was because Dra. Magda's cousin was a part of the folkloric dance company, Ballet Folklórico Murilamazo. The dances all had traditional meaning, and I wish I knew more about the significance of each dance. One piece was done with glasses of water on each dancer's head, another had a bride, and others had large colorful costumes.
The woman is Dra. Magda's cousin!
They were having a great time performing!
She was working the audience! I was given
a CD of some traditional music before we
left. 

No comments:

Post a Comment