Friday, June 5, 2015

Putting my Spanish into Practice

Highlight of the day: I got to be Alex's translator at the health care clinic on campus at UDLAP. I enjoyed feeling comfortable using the medical Spanish I have been learning in a real-life situation. (He is fine and just has an infected finger.)

     Today was our last real day at the family medicine clinic. It has become clear to me that while family medicine is a good choice for many people, it is not my favorite type of practice as it is very repetitive. Dra. Magda was talking to me and Savannah before we left for the weekend, and we asked her why she chose to go into family medicine. She said it is a good option for doctors who want to have relationships with their patients. Often a married couple comes to the clinic together for their appointments. Yesterday, a grandmother, mother, and daughter all had their appointments at the same time. The ability to get to know more about a patient than just a lab results and notes from previous appointments is a big draw to family medicine for many doctors.

     Over the past week, I have seen many cases of hypertension, diabetes, and obesity. While a family practice doctor sees a little bit of everything, the majority of the cases at Clínica San Pedro are re-checks for common illnesses and diseases. It was very interesting to learn about the prevalence of these illnesses, but I am also looking forward to spending the upcoming week at a children's hospital. Dra. Magda is such a sweet, welcoming person, so I am very glad our first week was spent with her at Clínica San Pedro.

No comments:

Post a Comment