Thursday, June 11, 2015

"Now What'll"

Highlight of the day: While riding with Dr. Casas to the pediatric hospital, Savannah and I were quizzed on the pronunciation of particular Spanish words. The words he was quizzing us on were Náhuatl, and Dr. Casas explained that Náhuatl was the language of the Aztecs. After hearing about the Náhuatl influence on Spanish for years, I finally understand that the language is not "now what'll." Even better, the my understanding of the backgrounds to words such as elote, corn in english, has finally clicked!

     Today was day one again. It was my first day at El Hospital para el Niño Poblano, a pediatric hospital in Puebla. It is a government funded hospital that operates under Seguro Popular, a type of insurance in Mexico. It was opened in the 1990s and was recently renovated and reopened earlier this year. They have about 90 beds in the hospital, and there are over 30 specialties represented throughout the staff.

     We weren't there for very long, so I haven't learned much about how the hospital functions yet. I do know I will be shadowing residents in the Emergency Room. We were told that the ER is always hectic, and I'm excited for the hustle and bustle tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment